Streamlining your maintenance requests helps create a hassle-free experience for your residents. This leads to an increase of perception in value of the community and staff which helps increase renewals!
Here are 5 KEY Ways to Streamline Your Community’s Service Requests:
1. Contact the resident – According to our 2017 Today’s Online Renters Study, 75.9% of residents use their apartment community’s online portal to submit service requests. If service requests are received via the community portal, contact the resident to gain more information if needed. Providing as much detail as possible will help the maintenance team complete the service request in the most timely and efficient way possible.
2. Be Transparent & Communicate – Notifying resident of a delay in service; such as a part is on order and the expected delivery date, in addition to the time frame maintenance will return to the resident’s home. Leave documentation in the apartment home and personally communicate the information to the resident in the manner they like to receive communication; email, text, or phone call.
3. Immediately Record into the PM system – Enter service requests directly into the Property Management System and repeat the request back to the resident. This allows for accuracy of the resident’s service request and for the maintenance staff to prioritize service requests as they are received. Always verify contact information; ensure email and phone number are current as this allows the resident to receive notifications as soon as the request is complete.
4. Maintenance team trained, equipped to carry out the request – Know your maintenance staff. If one of the team members is better at fixing appliances, make sure to appoint him or her to the outstanding service request. This will eliminate frustrated team members and residents will feel confident the team is able to complete their request.
5. Following up after request has been completed –Set a goal for service request call backs. Not only does a follow up call allow the office team to confirm the issue has been resolved, but also to confirm the resident is satisfied.
When residents feel the community staff cares, they are more likely to renew!
Key Takeaway: Residents should always have full access to everything they pay for inside their apartment home and around the community. A resident who has to take their laundry to the laundry mat because their washing machine is broken, or has to wait days for their fridge to be fixed, will ultimately have their perception of the community effected. These resident frustrations lead the resident to question the value of the community and if they should renew. Streamlining your maintenance requests helps to create a hassle-free experience for your residents. This leads to an increase in value of the community and staff as well as a rise in renewals.